A gun pointed towards me.


A gun pointed towards me.

It was late evening; I got a call on my landline which I hadn’t used for months. I was surprised to know that it still worked. I picked up the call but nobody replied. I put it back, went to the kitchen to make myself a drink. After all the work I did, I felt like resigning from the government. They don’t feed the ones they get food from. It is sad for an aged man to work for so many hours and still not get enough bread.

I had a little house with an open kitchen with a window from where I could see children play. They reminded me of my daughter. She never cared to call; she left when she was young. My life had its ups and downs, and whenever life had put me down, I never stood up.

While I poured my drink, I saw a kid finding it difficult with the chain of his bicycle. I kept looking at that kid, hoping that he would help himself but he did not move a bit. The neighbourhood where I resided was very old and less crowded; helped me with my peace of mind.  I had my drink and adjusted my gun on waist. I always carried my gun with me --who knows what could happen any moment.

I went outside and while I was locking my door, the kid kept staring at me as if I am going to hurt him. To make the staring contest friendly I smiled at him while locking the door. I approached him and bent down to have a look at his bicycle. He asked, “are you here to help me?” I glanced at him and said, “yes, it looked like you were running out of options, so I came.” The kid ran without making a noise while I was looking at his bicycle. A person came from behind and grabbed the gun from my waist and pointed it towards me. It is dark, nobody is out, the kid ran away and if I made a noise he’d shoot.

So, I have a gun pointed towards me.

 


Comments

Popular Posts