Sofia.

It was 3 pm, doorbell rang. I ran outside to see whether it was her. My sister, she used to come by 12 O’clock but only today it has been late. I was worried and even called her tutor to ask when she left. The tutor, Mary Walker has been teaching my sister, Sofia for 2 years. Mary said Sofia left early as she was told to. I answered the door. I kept staring at them wondering why they are here. The 2 police officers informed me that Sofia has been kidnapped from Grover Street. But the route for her tuition was different. Her tuition was at Adam corner which was few kilometres away from Grover Street. The police entered my house and started asking questions. I told them I had no such relation with anyone who would try to hurt me. I was always busy doing my part time job at Jon & Dan car services. They told me that a man called informing the police about the abduction. I asked them to tell me the number but they refused, saying that “investigation is on and we cannot disclose information.”  I requested them to do everything that they could do to bring her back safely. They left and I picked up my keys and went to Grover Street. 

I reached and saw police inquiring couple of stores asking for information. I ran to “Broth and Bone” the beef shop and picked up one of Larry Con’s man by his collar and asked ‘where is she?’. Shaking and shoving him several times, but nothing came out of his mouth. I saw a knife next to the counter, picked it to threaten him. He was muttering something but it was not audible because of the cracking fan and honking noise from outside. Larry Con was a mobster and I lied to the police that I did not have any relation which would cause harm to my family.  But, these men? They would love to kill me but they can’t. A pat on my back and I threw the guy at the counter. It was Larry Con. He did it. The pat and the kidnapping. It takes a lot of courage to accept the truth when you have committed sin. He stares in my eyes and said, ‘I did it ‘knowing that I have a knife in my hand. I pushed him against the wooden wall and it made a crack. He told his men to stop as they were approaching me and said in my ears “I have a deal for you as we were not on good terms before.” I said, “A deal? What deal? I thought you knew I never wanted to see your face.” He points to his office and asks me to let him go. I followed him, he offers me a drink while looking outside the window, and He says “There is where she got abducted from but she was here with a person who never wants to see your face too.” He took a large gulp and said, “Remember the last job we did together?” “The heist”, I replied. “Who was the guy to whom you sold the stolen car?” Larry asks, “A young stranger I guess because he was despairing for a car, I replied. Well, he committed suicide in a Police station while he was in custody. Strange isn’t it, the place where the boy was caught and the place your sister is kidnapped is same.

 2 years back, I, Larry and our so-called lovers did our last heist in Grover Street. We robbed a jewellery store without guns but with a piece of paper. To get rid of the stolen car we sold it to a young boy and asked him to pay near the jewellery store so that the police can get occupied. After the heist Larry parted his ways from us and left the game. Now we meet after 2 years because he kidnapped my sister. He starts walking away from me; I ask him “is it all about that?” After 2 years you are meeting me regarding this and also by kidnapping my sister, do you think it is relevant? I added. Nothing is relevant when you are determined to do something, sometimes it can be retaliation, he replies. He sat on his chair and said, “You know I didn’t do it but I gave you a mention and it’s for you to find out, but you should clear the chaos you made.” I start walking out from his shop and he say from behind, “Everything has a price, what about this one, mastermind?” “My life”, I replied.

 

It was about night; I went home and telephoned the police, asking them if they found any lead. They said, “It has been only 5 hours since she has been kidnapped, we require more time, so, we ask you to remain patient and in good health.” People who don’t understand themselves feel suicidal when they lose the one they love and worse when they are the reason behind it. I could not stop asking myself why I did it and for whom. But these thoughts won’t bring her back to me, so I went to the kitchen, made myself a stiff drink and sat on floor, near the fireplace. Suddenly my glass falls on the floor and the glasses are shattered. I cleared up the shattered pieces while the drink was licked by my dog, Moshai. I couldn’t handle the day anymore; I went to my room and the laid on the bed thinking who and why someone would do it.

The next morning I went to the Police station and found Sergeant John Connor. He gave me a weak smile and briefed me about the investigation. It wasn’t much. For once I was not sure whether to ask him about the investigation of a bygone case or the chat with Con. I left the station hoping the police to get an early brake. While reaching my car, I thought of visiting Marry, Sofia’s tutor. There was an old bank near the Adam corner which was also robbed by us, all the roads gave some memories until I passed by Grover Street. I reached her house but her door was locked and tried her number but it was out of service. Strange cause it never happened before. When I went to the other side of the house to check the door, I saw her car parked but it was covered with a big gray cloth. I recognised the car because she used to visit us sometimes and to be sure I tried to remove the cover and saw a big dent on the hood. Well, whom did she ran over? I went on my way to home.

I see missed calls of Larry and then I saw him standing against his car, outside my house. “How are you”, he said, “So far, still alive, why are here “, I replied. “Just checking up on an old pal “he says while sitting in his car and then leaves. I was unlocking my door and suddenly a thought stuck about the mention that Larry made yesterday. I ran inside and opened my laptop and started searching about the last heist. I came across an article it said, “How the thieves distracted the police with a stolen car and an innocent boy inside.” Larry was right, the boy committed suicide in the Police station and the media never showed it but the family knew. I got to know the name of the boy and the place he used to reside at. It was at Franklin Street, few blocks away from Grover and Adam corner. I reached and saw that the house was abandoned. I couldn’t see any chance here of getting information.  It was 12 pm and the sun was on my head. There was a bench on the sidewalk, I sat. I saw a couple playing with their daughter in a playground which was diagonal to the house. I thought why someone would bring their child out at such time. I approached them and asked about the house. The husband took an initiative and said, “The house became abandoned when their son committed suicide and their daughter ran from home.” I noticed that their daughter got a bit off while her father said it. “What’s the problem kid?” I asked her. Her mother says, “Their daughter used to teach her few years back in school.” I bent down to her and said, “I hope you get a better teacher who doesn’t leave her beautiful students behind.” Smilingly she said,” I hope too.” I wanted to ask the last question if it did any better and leave because I was wasting my time here. “Why did his sister ran away?” I asked them, “because for some revenge” says their daughter. I was shocked by her reply and said, “You sure? What was her name?”

She stared at me and said with an air of supreme confidence, “Yes, her name is Marry Walker.”

I stared at her for few seconds and started running to Marry’s house. I didn’t even look at my car but I couldn’t stop running. I was running on the main road, people were staring at me and my heart was beating fast. I reached, I break her door with a kick, and Marry came from upstairs, saw me and ran back to the room. I hurried upstairs and saw Marry, behind her is Sofia wrapped in plastic sheets, it looked like she was getting shipped. Marry grabbed a bat and swing it towards me but I was able to knock her out by twisting nerves of her neck while she was resisting me. I started removing the plastic sheets and suddenly when I saw her face which light blue because of the less air I thought, did she died? I started shaking her and I could see her eyes were opening a bit, I ran downstairs to the fridge and got cold water. The whole house was completely messed up. I emptied two bottles of cold water on her face; she shuddered violently and gasped for breath. I opened the windows and made her sit on the edge. She hugged me and started crying. “What all happened Sofia tell me, you are safe now, you are next to your brother.” I said. She looks outside the window and says, “Ma...marry... She kidnapped me and took me to the Grover Street in her car. She wanted to kill me outside the jewellery store, where his brother was caught.” Sofia turns her face to me and adds, “She said, you were the reason that his brother committed suicide and now look what it cost.” I look at her with regret and said, “Everything is over Sofia.” We came downstairs and the moment we came out of the house, my phone ranged. It was Larry, I put the phone on speaker and he says, “Happy ending Robert. Take care.” Sofia and I looked at each other; we hold our hands and continued the journey to our home.

The End.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts